Friday, July 04, 2008

Shawn Casey chosen William S. Thomson Scholar...

The William S. Thomson scholarship is awarded annually to an undergraduate/graduate student who was a previous Rotary Club of Southington Scholarship recipient as
a senior in high school. This year’s scholarship will be awarded to Shawn Carey. Shawn was a 2005 graduate of Southington High School and the recipient of
one of our Rotary Club of Southington Scholarships that year. Shawn is now a
senior at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where he will graduate in 2009.

“After graduating from WPI in the spring of 2009, I plan to attend graduate
school seeking to obtain a Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering. Inspired by my
mother, who is a special education teacher in Southington, I have always wanted to
teach and be in a position to motivate students. Continuing my education to
this level will help me to attain my ambition of becoming a professor of
Biomedical Engineering. I am very passionate about this field and I know that in
this role, I will be able to apply my interests and talents to help others. I am
currently conducting an independent study at WPI developing implantable
scaffolds that will enhance engineered cartilage. We hope that these devices will
dramatically improve mobility and relieve pain in people suffering from
degnerative diseases such as osteoporosis and lupis.”


The Rotary Club of Southington and the Thomson Family wish Shawn the best in
achieving his goal.

No comments: